Now that the weather has finally decided to feel like winter in Dallas, I’ve got the itch to go skiing! Today we are highlighting one of our all-time favorite ski towns, Aspen! This is a great spot to visit, not only because it’s relatively easy to get to, but also because it has so much to offer for both skiers AND non-skiers!
As we all know, Aspen is super ritzy with fantastic shopping – BUT it also has a casual vibe with everyone sporting ski attire throughout the town (while sipping on Veuve, of course). It’s a unique, must-see spot, so here are our recommendations for your next visit to Aspen:
HOW TO GET THERE:
We have three recommendations of how to get to Aspen:
1.) Fly into Aspen
2.) Fly into Vail and reserve a shuttle
3.) Fly into Denver and rent a car – Though this option is definitely the longest, flights to Denver are generally affordable + you can make a pit stop in Vail and explore! (Why not hit two ski towns on one road trip?)
WHERE TO STAY:
Downtown Aspen is definitely a happening spot, so staying somewhere walking-distance would be ideal! Though these four hotels may not be budget-friendly, they are absolutely fabulous and we definitely recommend them:
Though we didn’t have the chance to visit this hotel, we’ve heard the Mountain Chalet Aspen is a budget-friendly option in the heart of Aspen!
Can’t find what you’re looking for walking-distance to the downtown area? No worries! Aspen has a shuttle that can take you around town for free!
WHAT TO DO:
SKI – Since we love skiing, our “what to do” recommendations definitely begin with skiing!
– AJAX – In our opinion, AJAX Mountain in the most fun and has runs for all ski levels. Last time we were there, we sipped champagne with other skiers on top of the mountain while an awesome DJ played – Great vibes, great atmosphere. Totally recommend it!
– Aspen Highlands – Aspen Highlands is also a great mountain to ski while you are there! Why? Read about Cloud 9 in our “Where to Eat” section to learn why!
NON-SKI – For those of you who prefer a more relaxing vacay, Aspen has so much to offer for you as well!
– Shopping – There is no shortage of shopping in Aspen, so we can’t even begin to list off the best stores in the city! We always love shopping at Gorsuch for unique and luxurious Colorado inspired items (+ ski wear), and Moncler definitely wins our vote for the best place to snag a winter ski coat!
– Spa – There are so many great spas to check out in Aspen, but the spa at the St. Regis is perfection! Stop by for a day of pampering to feel relaxed and rejuvenated before a night on the town!
WHERE TO GO OUT:
If you’re looking for a rowdy night out, check out Bootsy Bellows and Escobar for energized vibes! If low key is more your style, grab a cocktail and get cozy at The Little Nell and St. Regis! For live music, be sure to check out the concert schedule at Belly Up!
WHERE TO EAT:
– Cloud 9 – If any of you have experienced one of the wild ZaZa Sunday School brunches in Dallas, you can only imagine Cloud 9. This ski-in-ski-out party lunch at the top of Aspen Highlands is a must for mid-ski cocktails, fondue, and an excuse for a great time. Last year the day before we went, Will Ferrell was there partying and buying shots for everyone- major celeb sighting opportunity.
– Ajax Tavern – At the base of the mountain, this is a spot you can’t miss! Also a fab place for Apres-Ski (along with the Little Nell)
– Matsuhisa – Best sushi in Aspen
– Aquolina – Fantastic Italian food with an upscale vibe.
Have any other favorites that we missed? Feel free to let us know! We’d love to hear your favorite spots, as well as your memories on your next Aspen trip!
Looking for more ski trip ideas? Check out our other ski town reviews!